So anyone who knows me knows that I preach the gospel of rice cooker cooking. I bought my rice cooker from Amazon as a "Christmas Gift to myself" my first year of medical school. Forking out more than a hundred bucks on a kitchen appliance seemed a little crazy at the time, but it was one of the best investments I have ever made. I use that thing every day and sometimes twice a day and you will see how and why with my style of cooking.
Nothing beats cooking beans in a rice cooker, because you can soak and cook in basically one step. Soak overnight, then use the timer function to cook and they'll be done in the morning. Or, soak all day and use the timer for the beans to be ready and waiting for you when you come home from work!
I finally hit up the farmer's market last week after weeks of absence, mostly due to bad timing and a demanding schedule. Luckily, the bounty still abounds and I bought some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and crisp, tender kale. Combining kale to homegrown collards in the recipe below was twice as nice, but you could use one or the other. The black-eyed peas stick to your ribs. Add extra water for a yummy broth to slurp up after a cool walk in the woods.
Green Leafies and Black-Eyes
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bunch kale, collards or both cut chopped finely into little threads
4oz dry black-eyed peas, already reconstituted and cooked (or two cans ready-made)*
2-3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups veggie broth (or water + broth cube)
1.5 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. paprika
3-4+ Tablespoons hot sauce such as chili-garlic, or Tabasco if you prefer
dash salt
Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until sweaty and smelly. Add the kale, a dash of salt and stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the kale is nice and wilted. Add the beans and broth. Cover. Cook 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook another 10-15 minutes. Add the seasonings, stir, and turn off the heat but keep the lid on and let flavors combine. Taste for final flavor adjustments.
Rice cooker method: Truth be told, the last time I made this recipe, I did it all in the
rice cooker on "slow cooker" mode. I sauteed the onion and garlic in
the oil first, then added everything else at once (sans spices). It
turned out splendidly. I actually made this over my lunch break if you
can believe it, and added some leftover squash for color and substance.
* To have thicker Green Leafies and Black Eyes, smash about half a cup of the beans with a fork before adding them to the pot. The pulverized beans will add some creamy texture and a little complexity to the dish. You can always add more water if you want it soupier. Happy slurping.
No comments:
Post a Comment