The past few weeks have been the ultimate test, thus far, of maintaining a respectable, veggie-rich diet despite time constraints. Things have been a little more demanding in the hospital and I have been pushing up against work hour restrictions (80 hours per week averaged over 4 weeks). Today is a relaxing day off, though I have to say, on intense rotations like the one I am on now, my mind is at the hospital even today. I would probably prefer to work 2 weeks straight and have a whole weekend off to really relax instead of one day off in 6 or 7, because one night and one day is just enough time to fall behind on your work when you return. As it is, I already dream about my patients during the week!
Anywho...did want to share a seriously lazy recipe I concocted out of necessity that isn't half bad from things that I already have in the freezer. I have hardly been getting myself to the supermarket and have been relying more on frozen stuff. It's not as tasty as fresh, but sure better than hospital food and way more convenient at this stage in the game. It's inspired by the first 3 things I saw in the freezer when I opened it up starving one evening.
Frozen Food Fried Rice (FFFR)
serves 1 hungry person
1/3 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup pre-sliced frozen bell peppers (I got mine from Trader Joe's)
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup thawed shrimp (I used pre-cooked, but raw will work and probably taste fresher)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
McCormick Peppercorn Medley (it has coriander and allspice along with peppercorn blend)
couple dashes soy sauce
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup wild rice, cooked (or other pre-cooked, leftover grain)
Saute the onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until translucent. Throw in the veggies. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and rice (if the shrimp are raw, add them prior to the rice, cook until just turning pink, then add the rice). Season with the red pepper flakes, lots of the pepper medley, and soy sauce to taste.
This will surprise you. It isn't the world's best meal by any means, but the effort to taste and nutrition ratio is on your side, by a landslide. It takes more time to eat than to prepare! At least I hope so. I hate eating in a rush.
No comments:
Post a Comment