Saturday, December 31, 2011

Grand Granola

Recognizing friends, coworkers, or neighbors with a little gift around the holidays is always fun, but coming up with a gift idea is not always easy.  You want the gift to be useful, affordable, appropriate for a variety of ages and interests (and it can't be too girlie!).  Often times, it's homemade, which satisfies at least 2 out of the 3 criteria.  Some years, I just don't get around to it.  But during the holiday season, usually between thinking, "It really doesn't seem like that much work to send out Christmas cards," and finishing my shopping, I start a little arts and crafts project.

In past years, I've made salt and essential oil hand scrub or packaged my own "cranberry orange scone" kit in a mason jar.  Another year, I found lotion cheap and just handed that out to folks.  This year, inspired by the orange scone kit, I wanted to give an edible gift in a jar, but I wanted to try and make it healthier.

Everyone is entitled to indulge at Christmas, but I was especially inspired to plant a seed of healthiness because of so much diverticulitis I've seen in the hospital (and a friend came down recently with the disease).

Since the holidays are a time when everyone is bombarded with delicious (and processed) sweets, why add fuel to the fire?

So I made a tasty alternative to the scones or cookies in a jar: I'm calling it Grand Granola.  I made it over several days while preparing a power point for work and doing Christmas cards.  At first I tried to layer the ingredients so recipients could make the granola themselves at home, but the texture and density of the ingredients are too divergent and it looked like a mess.  Roasting the granola to gift a finish product took more work, however I think people liked having a "finished product" that was as tasty as it was visually appealing. The variety of nuts and their different shapes add visual appeal, but if you are making this for yourself, play around with your favorite combo (see note at end).

Grand Granola
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup shelled raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup whole, raw almonds (substitute walnuts if preferred)
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded or shaved
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (agave nectar is easier to blend in because it's thinner)
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup golden raisins

In large bowl, combine the oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and coconut.  Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.  Add the oil and sweetener slowly as you stir so the mixture is uniformly coated with liquid ingredients.  This may take a few minutes.  Sprinkle on salt and stir.

Spread the mixture evenly on a large cookie sheet and roast at 275F for 60-75 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.  Cool completely.  Add dried fruit if desired.

Scoop ingredients into mason jars (I used pint-sized).  If you want to be fancy, cover the jars with fabric or add a stencil.  That's where my craftiness stops, however.  I was lucky to finish this project sans decorations!  And people loved it!  I did encourage folks to eat the granola within a week or two, because the dried fruit can make the roasted mixture soggy.  If you want long term storage, throw mixture in the freezer and take out what you want as desired.  Otherwise, skip the fruit and encourage recipients to add fresh or dried fruit of their own when they munch.

Serve alone as a snack (yum), with yogurt or your choice of milk.  Yes, you can even throw it on top of ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Note: feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruit for above.  I made one batch with pineapple tidbits: yum.  I also sprinkled cinnamon, vanilla, and/or almond extract on some batches.  Feel free to experiment and half fun with this tasty and high fiber snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment