Baby: it's (finally) cold outside.
My stomach is so grateful for the pots of nourishing, filling yumminess that I've been throwing together the past few weeks. Peeking back at my last post, this recipe is similar yet different and you will love it. I told my husband this particular version could win a cook-off, especially in the category of "Featuring vegetables you didn't know you loved" (beets, rutabaga, kale). The sweet potatoes and beets make the broth slightly sweet. Why does chili get all the glory? Then again, I made that too, this week (this was better...or shall I say "beeter").
Lean-on-Me Lentil Stew
1 cup lentils (I mixed French and orange, but you can use whatever's on hand)
1 cup yellow split peas
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
3 smallish red beets peeled and cut into long strips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 ribs celery chopped (I prefer organic, because I think it is about five thousand times less bitter than conventional)
1/2 bunch Dino Kale, roughly chopped
2 veggie broth cubes
8 cups water
1tsp thyme
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne (depending on your regional/tastebud/family preference)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (trust me)
salt and pepper to taste
In a rice cooker: Throw all ingredients besides the spices into the cooking vessel. Cook on "slow cooker" mode for 2.5 to 3 hours. I'm sure you can do this in your conventional slow cooker, too with similar cook time. Add the spices at the end. Season to taste.
On the stove top: In a large stock pot, bring the broth cubes and water to a boil, add the lentils/split peas. Reduce heat, cover loosely with lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Add the veggies. Simmer for another 30-45 minutes. Add the spices at the end. Season to taste.
Keeps for several days in your fridge. Freeze for a lunchtime delight. When you take it out of the freezer in the morning, it'll double as a lunchbox cooler for the rest of your goodies!
No comments:
Post a Comment