Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quinoa Queen

As you come to know me and my style of cooking you'll learn that I love quinoa. I have used it in cooking for years...probably since sometime in high school when I was experimenting with all the bulk foods in the local natural foods store. High in protein and fiber with a texture somehow similar to rice and couscous (with a grassiness that some either love immediately or affectionately acquire a taste for), it cooks as fast as white rice with way more nutrient value!

Here's a basic recipe.

Basic Training

1 cup Quinoa
2 cups Water

Bring water to boil. Add Quinoa and cook 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 4-5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Salt and pepper to taste. Personally, I always use a rice cooker and put it on the quick cook or white rice setting and it always comes out perfectly.

Savory Quinoa: use broth instead of the water or toss a bouillon cube into the water for instant flavor. Keep in mind you'll have to adjust the post-cooking salt in this case!

Toasty Quinoa: Saute 1 cup Quinoa and 1/4 cup slivered almonds in 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil or butter over medium heat until the grains begin to brown. Then add 2 cups liquid (broth or water) and cook as before. **Pepitas, sunflower seeds, walnut pieces work great, too!**

No comments:

Post a Comment