Yesterday, I hosted a potluck with some other residents from my program. It was kind of bad timing as work has really picked up this week and I have been quite worn down. But it makes me happy to share good food with good people and I made two "Old Faithful" recipes for guests who hopefully liked the flavor and color combinations in high summer. I'll share one with you tonight. It's not that original, but it's still awesome.
Chop and Dump Salad
The look of this salad reminds me of confetti. It's so easy, delicious, and nutritious that when I forget to make it for a few months I kick myself because the effort to flavor ratio is quite in my favor!
1 can black beans (16oz), drained
2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can whole kernel corn)
1/3 cup chopped purple onion
1/2 cup (loosely packed) cilantro, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado chopped (optional, but really, how could you turn an avocado down?)
1/3 cup vinegar (pick your favorite I like apple cider)
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, dump the corn and black beans together. Next, chop up the tomatoes, avocado, onion and cilantro and add them to the bean mixture. Dump vinegar, extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Anybody can Chop and Dump!!
You can really make this salad shine by featuring it as an accompaniment to your favorite summer entree. You can also spruce it up to be a filling lunch salad by serving it on a bed of some chopped romaine lettuce. Embellish as you see fit: hard boiled egg, chicken, carrots. Hurray for high protein/high fiber beans to fill you up and never let you down.
No comments:
Post a Comment